Wood’s General Store
History of the General Store
Wood’s General Store has been operating since 1881. When it first opened it was Tigerville’s first post office and was run by Lemuel Jenning’s.
An Unexpected Closing
The store then passed into the hands of the Wood family. It was eventually called the T.P. Wood Store and was run by Thornton Pralo Wood who ran the store with his wife Helen and son Willie. When Wood died in 1995, his son closed the store and post office in 1996.
The store was purchased by North Greenville University and was restored and is now known as Wood’s General Store. The store now functions as a shop for NGU gear such as: apparel, stickers, water bottles, mugs, and more. It also houses the Helen R. Wood Post Office, the hub for all NGU mailing, and serves as the pickup location for books ordered through Slingshot.