Mark Bjornsen, PhDProgram Coordinator, Physical Education
Assistant Professor, Physical Education
Unit: College of Humanities and Sciences, School of Humanities and Social Sciences
"Teach as if you are teaching your own children."
Teaching & Education
- Bachelor of Science, Physical Education, Houghton College
- Masters of Education, Educational Leadership, Regent University.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Health, Sport, and Exercise Science, University of Arkansas
- 20 years of K-12 experience in public and private school setting in Virginia.
- Adjunct professor at Mount Vernon Nazarene University.
- Joined NGU in 2020.
- The Impact of Recess on Students: A scoping review of developmental outcomes and methodological considerations (under publication review)
- Outstanding Doctoral Student in Health, Sport, and Exercise Science for Pedagogy – University of Arkansas
My name is Mark Bjornsen, and I chose to work at North Greenville University to teach young men and women to be Christ-like leaders in their homes, communities, churches, and workplaces.
I was born and raised on Long Island, New York, but have also lived in Georgia, Colorado, Virginia, Arkansas, Ohio, and now South Carolina. We have one daughter, a former collegiate student-athlete, in her final year as a doctoral student at UNC-Chapel Hill studying Human Motion Science. My undergraduate degree is in physical education from Houghton College, and my master’s degree is from Regent University in Educational Leadership.
Upon graduating from Houghton, my wife and I moved to Fredericksburg, Virginia, just south of Washington, D.C., and spent twenty years in public and Christian education as a health and physical education teacher. I have also served as a principal.
While living in Arkansas, I earned my doctoral degree in Health, Sport, and Exercise Science from the University of Arkansas. I feel blessed to work at North Greenville University and look forward to building relationships with students as they seek God’s direction in their lives. In addition to many years of teaching, I have coached soccer collegiately for more than 20 years.
Our family roots for Penn State, the Razorbacks, and Yankees! We enjoy watching snow fall and like cold weather, the EPL, maintaining an active lifestyle, and my current goal is to run a road race in all fifty states with my daughter.