James Washick, PhDProfessor, English
Location: Tigerville, SC
“But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.” --George Orwell, “Politics and the English Language”
Teaching & Education
You will learn with me when taking courses in British Literature, English Language, and Film.
- BA, University of South Carolina
- MA, University of South Carolina
- PhD, University of South Carolina
My experience includes teaching at the university level since 1997.
- “Oliver Twisted.” The Looking Glass: New Perspectives on Children’s Literature, vol. 13, no. 3, 2009. (an intertextual discussion of Oliver Twist and Lord Valdemort)
- “Trickster’s Choice.” Junior Book Award Activity Guide. SCASL. 2006-2007, www.scasl.net/bookawards/jba.htm>
- “Terabithian Shadow: Death and Narnian Theology in Paterson’s Bridge to Terabithia.” Lamp Post: Journal of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society vol. 23, no.4, 1999, pp. 3-7.
- “The Elision of Christ in Mary Reilly.” Christianity and Literature vol. 44, no.2, 1995, pp. 169-179.
I have taught courses on composition, world literature, literature and film, the British novel, Victorian literature, modern British literature, literature of WWI, YA literature, history of the English language, grammar and styles, and the Oxford inklings
Favorite Course to Teach: