Web Drake, PhDDean, College of Communication & Fine Arts
Unit: Communication, Program Deans, College of Communication & Fine Arts
Location: Tigerville, SC
“Education is a fire to be lit, not a pail to be filled.” —W.B. Yeats
Teaching & Education
You will learn with me when taking courses in Argumentation and Rhetoric.
- BA, Mississippi College
- MA, University of North Texas
- Additional Study Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- PhD, Louisiana State University
My experience includes Mississippi College, Department of Communication, Director of Forensics, Instructor, and Assistant Professor as well as Union University, Department of Communication Arts Department Chair, Director of Debate, Associate Professor, and Professor.
- “Performance as Ministry: An Ethnographic Study of Three Christian Repertory Theater Troupes.” Louisiana State U, 2004.
- The challenge of effective speaking: Student workbook. Accompanying text for Verderber, R. F., & Verderber, K. S. (2005).
- The challenge of effective speaking (13th ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson, Wadsworth.
- Patrick Richey (Ed.) (2016). IPDA Handbook. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- “Religious Repertory Theater: An Auto-ethnography and Narrative Analysis.” Southern States Speech Communication Association.
- “Performance Apprehension: A Correlation Between Fear of Communication and Performance Capability.” Southern States Speech Communication Association.
- Reap the Whirlwind. Mississippi College, Union University.
- The Glass Menagerie
- Beyond the Horizon
- The Misanthrope
- Jake’s Women
- The Importance of Being Earnest
- The Mousetrap
- The Little Foxes
- God’s Favorite
- Mississippi College
- 2016 – Faculty Member of the Year, Union University
- 2010 – Bennett Strange Coach of the Year, International Public Debate Association
- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 – National Champions. Season-Long. International Public Debate Association
- 2010, 2011, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 – National Champions. Championship Tournament. International Public Debate Association
I will gladly involve you in my circle that includes:
- International Public Debate Association
- National Communication Association
- Southern States Communication Association
- Religious Communication Association
- Toastmasters International
I was born and raised in Alabama. The son of a football coach and an 8th grade science teacher, I have always loved the process of education and the context of the classroom. Though filling an administrative post at North Greenville, I consider myself first and foremost a teacher and a mentor.
I am married to the former Sharon Peterson of Slidell, LA. We have two children. Renee is a freshman at North Greenville. Jon David is a Junior at Landrum High School.
A Christian since the age of seven, I view my career as a professional educator as a calling. I have served God through the local church as Deacon, Sunday School teacher, and even Interim Pastor. My greatest service to my Father has been as a husband and a dad!
I enjoy arguing with my wife about Bama versus LSU football! I loves exercise, spending time with my family, and puttering around in the yard!
Favorite Course to Teach
Argumentation. I love to see students learning the process of defending their ideas and developing the courage to do so. I love the breadth of issues discussed and the mentorship involved in the process.
Explore more resources related to this field of study