Michael Weaver, DMProfessor of Music
Coordinator of Strings
Location: Tigerville, SC
“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” Prov. 16:9
Teaching & Education
You will learn with me when taking courses in Applied Viola, Violin, Music History, and Music Theory.
- B.M. Music Education, East Carolina University
- M.M. Viola Performance and Suzuki Pedagogy, East Carolina University
- D.M. Viola Performance, Florida State University
Violist with various professional orchestras since 1997 including:
- Tallahassee Symphony
- North Carolina Symphony
- Greenville Symphony Orchestra
- Hendersonville Symphony Orchestra
- Ashville Symphony
- Spartanburg Philharmonic Orchestra
- Private string teacher
- Conductor, Hendersonville Symphony Youth Orchestra
- Adjudicator and Clinician throughout South Carolina
- “Kevin Puts” in Grove Music Online, 2015.
- “Works for the Viola by Pulitzer Prize Winning Composers: An Annotated Bibliography,” Edwin Mellen Press 2006.
After serving 10 years in the United States Marines I felt called to pursue a career in music. Thinking I would teach in the public schools, I majored in music education. Encouraged by a professor, I considered teaching at the college level and went on for my masters and doctoral degrees in music performance. The Lord opened the doors and provided the means all the way through for my education with the New GI Bill for my bachelors degree and a semester of my masters degree, then an assistantship for the rest of my masters degree, followed by a fellowship for my doctoral degree. After serving at a public university in NC, the Lord led me to NGU where I have been blessed by the opportunity to profess my faith in Christ as I teach my courses.
Favorite Course to Teach:
This is an unfair question. I love teaching all of the courses I teach, from pre-college music fundamentals to post nineteenth-century music theory, music history, orchestra, and applied viola and violin. It is a delight to see the growth in my students’ knowledge, understanding and skills, but especially in their faith in God.
Explore more resources related to this field of study: