Jeff Briggs, PhDProfessor, Sport Management
Unit: Sport Management
Location: Tigerville, SC
"Never react to life in the moment, always wait and respond in due time. Life all too often distracts and derails man."
Teaching & Education
You will learn with me when taking courses in Sport Management, Physical Education, and First-Year Experience.
- BS, Physical Education and Sport Administration, Mt. Vernon Nazarene College
- MS, Health & Wellness, Marshall University
- PhD, Sport Administration, Florida State University
My history includes tremendous industry experience in the Sport Profession managing, operating, and owning various wellness centers, YMCAs, real estate developments, and businesses in the bowling sector of the Sport Profession. Proven Track Record in business and organizational development including business plan writing, organizational structuring, obtaining financing, fiscal/financial planning and operations, long-term strategic planning.
My teaching experience involves a twenty-four-year career in higher education in WV, FL, and SC.
- Bradley, R., Cromartie, F., Briggs, J., Battenfield, F., & Boulet, J. (2015). Ratios of Certified Athletic Trainers’ to Athletic Teams and Number of Athletes in South Carolina Collegiate Settings. The Sport Journal.
- Briggs, J. P. (2007). The Bowling-Specific Training Manual. Published manual (4th Ed.), Briggs Consulting, Greenville, South Carolina.
- Briggs, J. (2002, October/November). Shouldering Your Game: Part II. Asian Bowling Digest, 4(19), 54-55.
- Briggs, J. (2002, October). Instructional Potpourri. 7-10 Split, 3(8), 4 & 20.
- Briggs, J. (2002, August/September). Shouldering Your Game: Part I. Asian Bowling Digest, 4(18), 46-47.
- Briggs, J. (2001, November). Can Muscles Remember What You Teach Them? Bowling This Month, 8(11), 56-58.
- May 2018 – NGU Outstanding Faculty Member presented by the NGU Department of Academics, Tigerville, SC.
- August 2012 – NGU Distinguished Differenced Maker presented by the NGU Admissions Department/Administration, Tigerville, SC.
- April 2011 – Excellence in Teaching Award, South Carolina Independent Colleges & Universities.
I will gladly involve you in my circle which includes:
- a broad and deep network in the sport profession and within the local business and church communities. These lead to students securing internships, positions after graduation, and graduate school acceptance in hundreds of organizations.
I was raised on Willow Springs Farm, an American Saddlebred horse farm in north central Ohio. My mother was a paralegal by day and a champion show rider nights/weekends. My father was an entrepreneur who helped start and eventually lead as President, Custom Hoists Inc., an American hydraulic cylinder manufacturer. As an only child, I learned the work ethic at an early age and have carried it forward for five decades. Out of that upbringing, I have found that diligence, persistence, and perseverance, especially through setbacks/failure, are a recipe for success in most areas of life. Add to that a kind-hearted kindred spirit, and I believe most people can go quite far in this world.
School was not to my liking early on….I was barely accepted into college and Jesus was working hard on me. However, learning was always fascinating and as I began to mature into adulthood, I started enjoying reading, studying and advancing. I worked all through college and graduate school at various sporting businesses (bowling centers, YMCAs, fitness centers, wellness centers, etc.). I was a Graduate Assistant at both Marshall University and The Florida State University earning an MS and Ph.D. in various Sport Management specialties while conducting some original research as well as publishing and presenting globally.
I have worked in many facets of the Sport Profession both domestically and internationally. Entrepreneurism runs through my family and I don’t lack those genes: I have started, raised millions of dollars for, and owned multiple bowling businesses, wellness centers, real estate ventures, and consulting and training businesses since the early 1990s. Today I currently volunteer as the CFO of our College Park Church in Berea, SC.
Nearly two decades ago the Lord decided it was time I used my talents for His glory, and I recommitted my life to Him. Over the past 20 years, the Lord has used me to make the NGU Sport Management Program one of the premier programs in the nation and one of the most significant programs on campus. With a knack for mentoring the next generation and leading the building of quality programming, I have enjoyed a rich tenure at NGU and hope to continue the Lord’s work here advancing through the 2020s.
Favorite Courses to Teach: Sport Leadership & Staff Development; Sport Finance & Fundraising.
Explore what you can do with a science degree:
- Science Careers – Provides expert advice on career options for the undergrad graduating with a science degree