Gene C. Fant, Jr., PhDPresident
Professor of English
Unit: Senior Leadership Council, Executive Leadership Council
Location: Tigerville, SC
Teaching & Education
I teach Medieval and Renaissance English literature, Modern American Novel, Historical Linguistics, and Creative Writing.
- Certificate in Educational Management, Harvard University
- B.S. Anthropology, James Madison University
- M.A. English, Old Dominion University
- M.Div. Biblical Languages, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Ed. Educational Leadership, University of Southern Mississippi
- Ph.D. English, University of Southern Mississippi
My experiences include extensive teaching and administrative experience, along with consulting and writing. Contributing writer at The Chronicle of Higher Education, blogger at First Things / First Thoughts, and many other publications.
A highly sought-after writer, speaker, and expert on Christian higher education, Dr. Fant has taught in a variety of institutions. In addition, he serves on a number of boards, including the Impact 360 Institute, a worldview and leadership development program based in Georgia.
- The Liberal Arts: A Student’s Guide (Crossway).
- God as Author: A Biblical Approach to Narrative (B & H Academic).
- Expectant Moments: Devotions for Expectant Parents (Zondervan), with Lisa W. Fant
- Contributed to over a dozen additional books on education, biblical interpretation, cultural criticism, and literature.
“Since elementary school, I wanted to be a college professor. After teaching high school for a few years in VA, I returned to graduate school and landed my first full-time teaching role at Mississippi College. I was named the department chair, adding administration to my portfolio.
I then moved to Union University in TN, where I taught a number of English courses and served as department chair, academic dean, and executive vice president, along with leading numerous projects such as strategic planning and the SACSCOC Quality Enhancement Plan implementation.
For three years, I served as provost (chief academic officer) at Palm Beach Atlantic University in FL, where again I led in accreditation and budget planning. In 2017, I was named the eighth president at North Greenville University in SC.
Lisa and I have been married since 1995 and have adult twin children, Ethan and Emily. We live in Tigerville SC, across the street from NGU.”