Darian K. Washington, D.M.A.Associate Professor, Music
Location: Tigerville, SC
“I believe it is my job as a professor to help students achieve their goals by unlocking and developing their potential as musicians, educators, and people."
Teaching & Education
You will learn with me when taking courses in Music Education, Conducting, Chamber Music, Applied Lessons, and Wind Band.
- B.M.Ed., Augusta State University
- M.M., University of Georgia
- D.M.A., University of Maryland
My experience includes two years teaching middle school band, teaching at the university level for fourteen years, and over twenty years of teaching middle school, high school, and college brass students.
- Regular performer and freelance musician in performing organizations in the Upstate, including the Greenville Symphony, Asheville Symphony, Hendersonville Symphony, and Spartanburg Philharmonic
- Instructor & Performer, Masterworks Festival, a four-week classical music intensive workshop for music students of faith
- Conductor & Guest Clinician, Baptist All-State Orchestra
- 2014 – Lamar S. Chapman Meritorious Award, North Greenville University
- 2014 – Greenville County Clinician Appreciation Award
- 2013 – SCBDA Young Band Director Award of Excellenc
I will gladly involve you in my circle that includes:
- Dr. Jean Martin-Williams, Associate Dean, Franklin College of Arts & Sciences, University of Georgia Gregory Miller, Director of the School of Music & Professor of Horn, University of Maryland
- Anneka Zuehlke-King, principal horn, Greenville Symphony & Spartanburg Philharmonic
- Dr. Les Hicken, Former Director of Bands, Furman University
- Dr. Michael Votta, Professor & Director of Bands, University of Maryland
- John Troxel, Horn, President’s Own Marine Band
- Chris Brown, Horn, United States Airforce Ceremonial Brass Band
- Allen Fogle, Horn, Hollywood Studio Symphony & Faculty Member CA Institute of the Arts
My journey started when I had the opportunity to attend a Fine Arts Magnet school and began playing horn my freshman year just so I could go on the band trips. What started as a hobby became a passion as I began studying music education in my undergraduate degree and teaching young horn students. After obtaining my master’s degree in horn performance and teaching public middle school for two years, I returned to school to pursue my doctorate with the goal of teaching in higher education. I truly feel that God has given me the gift of mentorship and ability to help each student I encounter to grow their own gifts and talents, and reach their maximum potential.
Favorite Course to Teach
- Applied Horn
- Related Links