K. Brent Coppenbarger, D.M.A.Professor, Music
Location: Tigerville, SC
“Knowledge is yours to keep. Nobody can take it from you.”
Teaching & Education
You will learn with me when taking courses in Applied Single and Double Reeds, Freshman & Sophomore Music Theory, Woodwind Methods, Orchestration, Pop Music, Music History Overview, Form & Analysis, Graduate Woodwind Repair, and Graduate Analytical Techniques.
- B.M., University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- M.M., Chicago Musical College of Roosevelt University
- D.M.A., University of Wisconsin.
My experience includes performing as a clarinetist & bass clarinetist for the Carolina Pops Orchestra, the principal clarinetist in the Janesville-Beloit Symphony and Greenville Opera Company, and a clarinetist in the Greenville Symphony.
I have also served as Associate Professor of Music at Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Adjunct woodwind instructor for Erskine College, Adjunct woodwind instructor for Clemson University, and a frequent recitalist in upstate South Carolina.
- The Clarinet Reed Revealed Through High-Speed Photography, Amazon, 2017
- Fine Tuning The Clarinet Section, Rowman & Littlefield, 2016
- 94 Music Theory Secrets, Rowman & Littlefield, Sept. 2014
- Instrumentalist Magazine, Tips for Clarinetists, Aug. 2011
- Instrumentalist Magazine, Clarinet Tuning, June 2007
- The Clarinet, The Vibrating Clarinet Reed, Sept. 2004
- Instrumentalist Magazine, More Is Not Better If Mistakes Become Ingrained, April 2003
- The Clarinet, A Clarinet Crossword Puzzle, June 2000
- NACWPI Journal, Review of Sparky & the Voice of Reason, Winter 1998-99
- The Clarinet, Bernhard H. Crusell’s Autobiography, 1998.
- NACWPI Journal, Often Asked Questions About The Clarinet Reed, Fall 1997
- NACWPI Journal, Sonatas for Clarinet & Piano, 1800-1850, Winter 1987
Published Musical Compositions:
- Allegretto for Clarinet & Piano, Schubert/Arr. Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications, 1996
- Concertino in F for Clarinet & Piano, Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications, 1994
- Bud’s Rag for Saxophone Quartet, Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications, 1994
- Feldeinsamkeit, for Clarinet & Piano, Brahms/Arr. Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications 1993
- Minnelied, for Clarinet & Piano, Brahms/Arr. Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications 1993
- Potpourri for Clarinet & Piano, Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications, 1993
- Concerto in Eb, Op. 1 No. 1, Crusell/Ed.& Piano reduction Coppenbarger, Musica Rara, 1990
- A Maiden Sat for Clarinet Quartet, Obrecht/Arr. Coppenbarger
- Solicitude for Solo Also Saxophone, Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications, 1990
- Variations On a Four Note Theme for unacc. clarinet, Coppenbarger, Dorn Publications, 1987
- Clarinet Muse, Clarinet CD released March 1995
- ‘Reeding’ Time, Coppenbarger Reed Duo (Clarinet & Bassoon) CD, released Feb. 2008*
- “Fly In The Pie”, Electronic Music of Brent Coppenbarger, CD, released in 2008*
- * Available from CDBaby.com
I will gladly involve you in my circle that includes:
- Robert Marcellus, Cleveland Orchestra
- Clark Brody, Chicago Symphony
- Walter Wollwage, Chicago Symphony
- Russ Dagon, Milwaukee Symphony
- Anita Garriott, Florentine Orchestra of Italy
- Glenn Bowen, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Roger Coppenbarger, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- International Clarinet Association
- Fourth Presbyterian Church of Greenville
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Both my parents were university music professors. I always wanted to follow in the footsteps of my parents.