Learn. Serve. Engage.
Transform your heart and mind through Service Learning Trips—this opportunity integrates educational components with service engagements, allowing participants to see culture and history from a unique perspective.
Hard copies of completed applications are due to Dr. Entwistle by October 14, 2022. In-person interviews will be conducted October 18–26.
Take it All In
Poland boasts beautiful cathedrals, a dragon’s den, the second oldest university in central Europe, and a chocolate shop over 100 years old.
Serve the Local Church
You’ll partner with a small Evangelical church to minister to the local community, largely comprised of people of the Roman Catholic and Ukrainian Orthodox religions, and worship with fellow believers in a diverse cultural context.
Learn About Culture and History
PSYC 4370, Disaster Mental Health, will include training in spiritual and emotional “first aid” for refugees.
HIST 4365, Soviet Russia, will help students understand the modern context affecting Ukraine and Poland.
During the excursion, you will worship, minister, and serve with our Polish brothers and sisters.
Students will have opportunities to serve others, learn about other cultures, eat wonderful Polish cuisine, visit Auschwitz (the Nazi concentration camp), visit museums, and visit the Old town of either Warsaw or Krakow.
About the Poland Service Learning Trip
Team members make a firm commitment to attend all team meetings. These meetings will often occur on weekends or evenings.
All participating students must:
- Attend one of the service learning information meetings: Friday, Oct. 7, 12:45–1:15 p.m. (Averyt-Wood 106) OR Wednesday Oct. 12, 5–5:30 p.m. (Neeves 172)
- Complete a team member application for the North Greenville University Service Learning Program.
- Contact Dr. Entwistle to ask any questions you might have and let him know of your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If accepted, put down a $200 non-refundable deposit and agree to cover the cost of any unrecoverable expenses should you drop out of the Poland Service Learning Team.
- Pray and prepare for the Service Learning Team. Read any assigned materials in your preparation.
- Attend all meetings, including planning meetings, training meetings, and team building activities (one meeting per month during the semester and two meetings per month during the spring semester).
- Complete spiritual first aid training, either by taking PSYC 4370 or through self-study of video-taped materials.
- Dedicate yourself to raising the funds to cover team expenses and help support the work to be done in Poland.
- Participate in fundraising projects the group develops.
Dr. David Entwistle