E. F. Averyt / Paul and Mildred Wood Learning Center, the original building erected in 1973-74, houses the Hester Memorial Library, the Miller Bible Museum, the college archives and the Art Department with a twelve classroom annex constructed in 1998-99. At the heart of the center and of the academic program at North Greenville University is the Hester Memorial Library. The library’s collections include over 60,000 volumes of print books and over 250,000 volumes of e-books, as well as access to over 8000 full text journal titles, 21,000 academic videos, and 117,000 music recordings. The Miller Bible Museum contains a collection of rare printed Bibles, language Bibles, and artifacts that illustrate the historical development of the written Word of God. The Writing Center and Language Lab are housed in the basement of the building.
The Billingsley Theatre is a 250 seat flexible (black box) performing arts venue. Seating can be arranged in a variety of patterns, including proscenium, thrust and arena. The Billingsley has a spacious lobby and concession stand, dressing rooms and scenery staging dock, and a tension wire grid over the entire space. NGU theatre majors operate every aspect of the theatre under the direction of the faculty and a full-time technical director.
The Craft-Hemphill Center for Apologetics and Christian Worldview, completed in August 2011, provides the University with a physical, high-tech “training and sending hub” where students will be trained and commissioned to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ across the street and around the world. With its focus on evangelism, missions, and Christian Worldview, the Center provides students with a variety of high-tech communication options with those serving on the mission field. The Center for Church Revitalization serves as a training center for reigniting the ministry and increasing the effectiveness of existing churches. The Center for Apologetics and Christian Worldview provides resources to help students on and off campus to possess and express a comprehensive Christian Worldview. The Center includes nine offices, four classrooms, three resource rooms, a conference room, and a 150 seat multi-purpose auditorium.
Crain Science Building is a two-story structure completed in 1962 and houses classrooms and laboratories for chemistry, physical science, biology, physics, math, and elementary education. This building is named for Dr. J. Dean Crain, former principal of the academy.
Donnan Administration Building, erected in 1954-55, stands in the center of campus. It contains classrooms and administrative offices. This building is named in honor of Dr. M. C. Donnan, who was principal of the academy from 1928 until the institution became a college in 1934. He was the first college president and served until 1962. Renovations were completed in 2008.
Foster Education Center opened in 1965 as a functional air-conditioned student activities building. It contained game rooms, conference rooms, lounges, and a snack bar. The building is named for Mrs. A. J. Foster of Columbia, South Carolina. The building was renovated for use by the College of Education and other academic programs in 2005.
Neves Academic Hall, located on the west side of the administration building, is a memorial to B. F. Neves who gave the original site for the school. The original part of this building was erected in 1943, and new wings were built in 1973. A second addition was completed in 1996. This addition provided extra dining space for 150 people, which increased seating capacity by 50 percent. Paul J. and Mildred M. Wood of Tigerville, South Carolina funded the second addition. The lower level contained an additional classroom, a dark room, and a three dimensional art studio. In 2006-07, the building was renovated and converted to an academic building with faculty offices and classrooms.
White Hall, the oldest building on campus, was named in honor of the Reverend L. B. White. It was renovated in 1992 and now houses faculty offices.
Worship & Fine Arts Centers
The Joe Frank and Eleanor Hayes Christian Fine Arts Center, completed in 2001, provides studios, classrooms, choir room, music library, band rehearsal hall, and the 250-seat Carolyn G. Hamlin Recital Hall. Joe and Eleanor Hayes, Dan and Martha Boling, and other friends and alumni of the university funded the center.
Joe Frank and Eleanor Hayes Ministry Center, erected in 1996, houses the Paul E. Moore Hall, the William F. Bishop, and the Thomas C. “Nap” Vandiver Suites sponsored by Carolina First Bank, which accommodates Admissions and Financial Aid. Laura Wood Messer gave a carillon in loving memory of her mother, Mrs. Helen Roberts Wood, beloved wife of T. Pralo Wood. Hymns are played from the top of the center and can be enjoyed for miles by the Tigerville community. The center was funded by Joe F. and Mrs. Eleanor Hayes, family and friends of Paul E. Moore, the South Carolina Baptist Convention in honor of William F. Bishop, and Carolina First Bank in honor of “Nap” Vandiver.
Eddie Runion Creative Arts Center was previously the old Roe General Store and was renovated by funding from Kathy Runion Varner and family in memory of Eddie Runion. It is the home for a TD Bank branch and Einstein Bros. Bagels. It also provides space for the Art Department.
The School of Theatre Building, the former Tigerville Elementary School building, was moved from its original location in 2006. The building was renovated for academics and houses the Department of Theatre.
The Studio at ‘Ole 414 was built in 2008 and houses ceramic and sculpture classes and gallery for the creative art degree program. Zelda Rosti funded the building in memory of her husband Earl K. Rosti.
Turner Chapel and Music Building, erected in 1957-58, provides studios and practice rooms for music students. The chapel will seat approximately 2,060 and fills a great need in the life of the university, especially for regular chapel services, theatre productions, and commencement activities. The chapel is named in honor of Mr. R. P. Turner of Greer, a benefactor and friend of the university. A lobby, restrooms, and additional seating were added in 1998. A second expansion to accommodate additional seating, eight stained glass windows, and the installation of the N. Q. and Martha M. Cline Pipe Organ was completed in 2001.
Student & University Services Facilities
Elton & Doris Todd Dining Hall/Jacks and Deborah Tingle Student Life Center was completed in 2005. This 52,000 sq. ft. facility seats 1,200 students for dining and includes the Edna Hartness Presidential Dining Room on the upper level. The lower level is the Student Life Center which houses the Helen R. Wood Post Office, ’63-’64 Grill, the Ward Family Bookstore, the George Bomar Mass Communication Department, and the Neb Cline Office Suite for Campus Ministry and Student Life Departments. Also, the Cline Suite includes the Patt McCaskill Fero music and conference room.
The Tigerville General Store has been operating since 1881. When it first opened it was Tigerville’s first post office and was run by Lemuel Jenning’s. The store then passed into the hands of the Wood family. It was eventually called the T.P. Wood Store and was run by Thornton Pralo Wood who ran the store with his wife Helen and son Willie. When Wood died in 1995 his son closed the store and post office in 1996. The store was purchased by North Greenville University and was restored and is now known as the Tigerville General Store. The store has groceries for students as well as housing Papa John’s pizzeria.
Cothran Maintenance Building, named for Grange Cothran, former director of college properties, was completed in 1974 and houses the mechanical workshop, electrical supplies, other maintenance equipment and supplies, utility rooms, and office space.
Cooper Apartments and Campus Security Office is used for campus security and housekeeping offices. This facility is named in honor of Harlee Cooper, who served the college as a teacher for many years.
North Greenville University’s athletic complex includes the Melvin & Dollie Younts Stadium, Fogle Field surrounded by a 3,500 seat football stadium, Hewlett & Lucile Sullivan President’s Box, Mitchell visitor’s center, Hendrix field house and Pepsi soccer stadium which was completed in fall of 2005. The athletic complex upon completion will include two football practice fields, two soccer fields, four softball diamonds, and twelve tennis courts.
The Joe F. Hayes Gymnasium, named for a trustee and businessman from Travelers Rest, was erected in 1950 to provide facilities for physical education classes and is the center of the athletic program. It was completely remodeled in 1976, and the seating for athletic contests was increased. An outdoor swimming pool was added in the summer of 1965. The pool is used both for instruction and recreation.
Forrest M. and Marie H. Younts Fitness and Wellness Center, named in memory of the parents of Mr. Melvin K. Younts of Fountain Inn, South Carolina, was constructed in 1989. The building housed the Ralph Hendricks office suite for the coaching staff, weight room, and fitness and wellness equipment.
Vance Tennis Complex North Greenville University takes another giant step in completing its athletics master plan in 2014. On Friday, September 19, the school held a ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony for the Vance Tennis Complex. Although the funds raised for this facility came from multiple donors, the lead naming gift came from the family of Vance and Theda Shreckengast from Florida. The Vance Tennis Complex features twelve tennis courts and a 1,600-square-foot clubhouse to house dressing rooms for the NGU men’s and women’s tennis teams, coaches’ offices, public restrooms and concessions.
The Jan McDonald softball field was made possible by the generous donations of the Gary Glenn family. Gary Glenn is a University trustee and athletics benefactor from Travelers Rest. The new softball field was named in honor of Jan McDonald, the long-time athletic director and former head softball coach.
The Angie and Sam Kelly Strength and Conditioning Center was made possible by Angie and Sam Kelly and by the SAM group. The Center is 5,000-square feet and is located in the Athletic Complex. It is designed to accommodate weight and Strength training for all Crusader student-athletes.
Dr. Barbara McCormick House. The two story white home on N. Tigerville Road was built by the John Wood family and named in honor of Dr. Barbara McCormick, class of 1955, for her dedicated service to her alma mater. The home is now used to house the North Greenville University Office of University Marketing and Creative Services; and the Office of Communication.
Ralph and Marion Hendricks Athletic Center was constructed in 2005, along with Younts Stadium. Hendricks, as it is known by most, is the hub of the North Greenville University Athletic Department, ho using the office of the Athletic Director, as well as the offices of the NGU Football coaching staff. Also contained within Hendricks Athletic Center is the athletic training room, the football locker rooms, and the Letterman’s Lounge, which hosts press conferences, booster club events, and other functions. Upstairs, Hendricks houses a weight room for student athletes, as well as the office of the North Greenville strength and condition coordinator.